I am a Software Engineer living in the south hills of Pittsburgh with
my husband, Robert Smith, and two dogs, Jessi (a Kerry
Blue Terrier) and Lucky (a rescue Miniature Schnauzer).
I am also Dame Elsbeth Anne Roth in the Society of Creative
Anachronism (the SCA).
- Dissertation title: “A Denotational approach to measuring complexity in functional programs”
- Topics related to the dissertation include: both denotational and operational
semantics, use of category theory in semantics, monads, complexity analysis,
- Other interests include: design of functional and object-oriented programming
languages, formal analysis of programs, domain specific languages.
- Work-related interests include Agile programming (especially Test Driven Design), refactoring, domain specific languages, object-relational mappings, code generation.
Current languages: Python, Ruby,
Languages to learn: Groovy, Eiffel,
- Brookes, S. and Van Stone, K., “Monads and Comonads in Intensional Semantics.”
Technical Report CMU-CS-93-140, Carnegie Mellon University, School of Computer
Science, 1993. In postscript
- Van Stone, K. A Denotational Approach to Measuring Complexity in Functional
Programs. PhD. Thesis, Carnegie Mellon University, School of Computer Science,
- I have been working on expanding the study of 16th century Spanish
names (see above article) based on a catalog of
passengers from Spain to the New World. I am looking for proofreading help — if
anyone is interested please contact me above (on hold for now).
- I am working on an analysis of Portuguese armory.
- I am working on an editor for certain types of data from the Information
Commons with a look to making it easier to enter data and make structural changes when needed.
- I have been training Lucky (the miniature schnauzer) in Agility and Rally (Lucky has his Novice Agility and Novice Agility Jumpers titles). Jessi is in beginning agility.
Current club groups
- Pittsburgh Java Users Group
- Pittsburgh Ruby Users Group
- The Society for Creative Anachronism, as noted earlier. Within it I am a member of the choral group The Debatable Choir and the instrumental group The Debatable Consort.
- Golden Triangle Obedience Training Club